Now that we’ve all had a chance to get our first hit of the wonderful drug that is football, we get to settle in and enjoy a full weekend of college football. The problem with that, if you’re like me, is that there is something like 97 games featuring FCS teams between Thursday and Sunday this first week. As much as I’d love to watch every single game I have this thing called a wife, two kids, grad school, job and family coming into town to celebrate the 800 birthdays we have in the month of September between both sides of the family. Even with all of that I’m going to watch just enough football to get me in trouble with my wife, but not enough to put me in the dog house. To do this I must be strategic. I’ve spent some time carefully plotting how, and which games to sneak games in. If you want to see the schedule for all FCS games, we have a handy little spreadsheet on AGS with that information found here.
Chances are that your priorities for which games you need to catch are different than mine but here is a quick list of 20 games I think are a “must watch…at least part of” for the opening weekend:
|Thursday, Sept 1||TIME (CT)||TV|
|North Dakota||@||Stony Brook||6:00 PM|
|The Citadel||@||Mercer||6:00 PM||ESPN3|
|Southwestern College||@||Missouri State||6:00 PM||ESPN3|
|Western Illinois||@||Eastern Illinois||6:00 PM|
|Delaware State||@||Delaware||6:00 PM|
|North Alabama||@||Jacksonville State||6:00 PM|
|Duquesne||@||Youngstown State||6:30 PM||ESPN3|
|William & Mary||@||NC State||6:30 PM||ESPN3|
|Montana State||@||Idaho||8:00 PM||ESPN3|
- I’m not sure Maine has what it takes to knock off UCONN, but it wouldn’t be the biggest upset
- UND looking to prove last year was just step one in becoming a legit top 20 team traveling half way across the county to take on a SBU team that believes they belong
- The Citadel/Mercer is a sneaky good game most outside ofthe SoCon probably miss. Side note to the SoCon, why is this week 1?
- I’m probably the only one that cares about MSU/SWC. MSU is horrid but are a 54 point favorite. That can’t be right.
- WIU/EIU is one of the most underrated rivalries in the FCS. This will be the 67th meeting with both teams looking like playoff contenders.
- DSU/UD means nothing to anyone outside of the state, but in a state that size this game is just fun to watch on and off the field.
- How can a D2 game against a top 5 FCS team make the list? Well, 2013 was a 3 point game and North Alabama isn’t your normal D2.
- Youngstown hasn’t lost an FCS OOC game since 2009 but they have been mighty close recently. I mostly just want to see Pelini melt down.
- William & Mary may be without running back Kendall Anderson, which would tamper me trying to watch, but if he plays the Tribe could be collecting a FBS scalp.
- Future conference-mates with Montana State/Idaho. I’m just curious as to the environment in the Kibbie Dome given what transpired this off season.
|Saturday, September 3||@||TIME (CT)||NAT TV|
|Southern Illinois||@||Florida Atlantic||5:00 PM|
|South Carolina State||@||UCF||6:00 PM||ESPN3|
|Towson||@||South Florida||6:00 PM||ESPN3|
|South Dakota State||@||#13TCU||7:00 PM|
|Stephen F Austin||@||Texas Tech||7:00 PM|
|Eastern Washington||@||Washington State||7:00 PM||PAC12|
|Northern Iowa||@||Iowa State||7:00 PM|
|New Hampshire||@||San Diego State||7:30 PM|
- Last season the Rams took out Army. Navy isn’t Army but the Rams have the offense to knock off the Midshipmen
- Richmond looking for the best kind of FBS scalp – in-state rival.
- SIU’s defense is bad, but I expect a win by the Salukis here.
- SCSU, who get votes in the AGS Preseason Top 25, taking on a UCF team that hasn’t won a game since Dec 4, 2014
- Towson appears to be a sleeper team for many this coming year. A USF team that went 8-5 last year is a perfect early season test.
- I don’t expect the Jacks to really be all that close to TCU, but there is a 99.693% chance this game is entertaining to watch.
- SFA and TTU is much like a cross between he last two games listed. I’m interested to see what the Jacks bring this year, mostly this should be a fun watch.
- The last three are my most likely week 1 FBS upsets
- EWU has the offensive play-makers to beat anyone, but do they have an offensive line…or defense?
- UNI has out-gained Iowa State in almost every game the last decade and are something like 12 points from having a winning record over the last 7 games against the Cyclones
- New Hampshire traveling across the country for a late kick didn’t work last year so I’m not sure why I think it will this year, against a better team. Call it a hunch…..keep in mind I told people on AGS to bet all the money, with fury, on NDSU to cover against CSU this past weekend
What did I miss? I know you have a game that you “can’t miss” that doesn’t involve your team.
*Disclaimer: If any of these games end up being a snoozefest, don’t blame me. Remember, a snooze of a game is better than no game.