We’re getting into the thick of things as conference championships and playoff spots are on the line. You may be shocked by some of the games you MUST WATCH in Week 9. (Note: Stony Brook @ New Hampshire is a must watch game, but there is no TV or internet feed.)
|Saturday, October 29th|
|St. Francis (PA)||@||Sacred Heart||11:00am||STREAM|
|Weber State||@||North Dakota||1:00pm||STREAM|
|Western Illinois||@||South Dakota||2:00pm||ESPN3|
|Eastern Illinois||@||Jackonville State||2:00pm||ESPN3|
|Central Arkansas||@||Southeastern Louisiana||2:30pm||ESPN3|
|Indiana State||@||Youngstown State||3:00pm||ESPN3|
|North Dakota State||@||Northern Iowa||6:00pm||ESPN3|
- The NEC championship looks to be hotly contested this season as Saint Francis sits at 2-0 with 4 teams stitting below them with one conference loss. Only two of the one loss teams have not lost to Saint Francis, Bryant and Sacred Heart. Sacred Heart grabbed attention when they pounded Stony Brook 38-10. This game will either cement SFU’s spot at the top or could potentially create a giant logjam atop the NEC.
- This weekend may feature the premier battle in the Patriot League championship. Since Lehigh knocked Colgate from the throne earlier in the season, a win over Fordham this weekend would leave them sitting pretty. If Fordham gets the win, things could get complicated and next weekend’s game between Fordham and Colgate could become very important. Check into this game for a high scoring shootout.
- The last remaining undefeated teams in the Pioneer League take the field in New York this weekend. Can San Diego overcome the cross-country flight? A Torero win nearly wraps up a playoff spot for San Diego with the schedule they have left. If Marist wins they still have Dayton and Jacksonville on the schedule.
- Weber State is one of the unexpected stories in FCS football this year and they sit at 4-0 in the Big Sky and 5-2 overall. North Dakota has also come on strong since opening 0-2. Both teams have long win streaks going so something has to give in this battle. It seems like North Dakota has the advantage being at home, but the Big Sky has been full of surprises this season.
- No one expected South Dakota to be tied for 2nd in the conference at the end of October, but this weekend will be a big battle for a playoff spot. Both teams are neck and neck in the conference standings and the loser of this game will be in a tough spot. Western Illinois had a great non-conference season but still has a tough game against Northern Iowa left on the schedule.
- Eastern Illinois took some of the shine off of this game with a tough loss last weekend, but they still might be Jacksonville State’s biggest challenge in the OVC this season. A loss knocks EIU off the playoff bubble, but a win might leave them securely in and send JSU plummeting in the polls.
- Samford takes a break from SoCon play to take on the down and out Mississippi State Bulldogs from the SEC. FBS games are always a tough battle, but this might be one Samford can snag.
- Southeastern Louisiana has come on strong in the SLC after a rocky start. A win on Saturday would leave them in contention for a playoff spot with a fairly easy path in their last three games. Central Arkansas has been on a roll since their close loss to Samford in Week 2. A Bear win this weekend moves us one step closer to a de facto conference championship game between UCA and Sam Houston State on the last weekend of the season.
- This battle between two of the top powers out West could decide which Big Sky team, if any, receives a seed come playoff time. Expect a high scoring affair with plenty of passion between these rivals. The game may be played on red turf, but you don’t want to miss this one.
- Youngstown State looks to rebound against a down and out Indiana State team. Can the Penguins shake their late season curse or will Indiana State play the spoiler?
- Northern Iowa pulled out a new quarterback last week to ignite their offense. Which quarterback will the Bison see this weekend? UNI needs a win to stay in the playoff hunt and NDSU is still looking for a playoff seed.